Wrinkles are typically caused by sun exposure, genetics, aging, and smoking. Generally, wrinkles are found on body parts that are most exposed such as the neck, face, top of your forearms, and back of your hands. Wrinkles can be categorized into the deep furrows and the fine lines on the surface or the superficial wrinkles. Dr. Stanislaw recommends prevention of wrinkles by using a good quality sunblock with zinc oxide and Rentin-A in your 30s and 40s to slow down the process.
Why are wrinkles caused?
There are some factors that promote wrinkles, including your skin type (light-colored skin and blue-eyed people are more prone to sun damage), smoking, sun exposure, and heredity.
What are the treatment options for my superficial wrinkles?
Several people in Hartford, New Haven, Norwalk, Greenwich and Avon approach Dr. Stanislaw after they have tried antioxidants, moisturizers, and ‘fruit acids’ and usually found little or no improvement. Here are some options Dr. Stanislaw uses to help his patients:
- Chemical Peels – These peels use ingredients like trichloroacetic acid, alphahydroxy acid, enzyme peel, and salicylic acid, which penetrate deeper into your skin than any other antioxidant or moisturizer. The fine lines on your face are improved with a deep chemical peel, leaving you with a youthful appearance.
- Microdermabrasion – With a series of microdermabrasion treatments you can improve the texture and appearance of your skin. This exfoliation process polishes the outer layer of skin and helps restore collagen.
- Micro-needling – The process of micro-needling helps your skin rebuild collagen to generate a more youthful glow and treat superficial wrinkles.
- Filler Injections –Fillers, such as Restylane or Juvederm, help treat embedded wrinkles by adding volume and contour to your skin.
- Botox and Dysport – Some of the wrinkles that form around the eyes and/or forehead can be eliminated with injections like Botox and Dysport. Botox works by incapacitating the nerve response in the area, thereby relaxing the skin and reducing wrinkles. Problems addressed include the forehead, crow’s feet, bunny lines, upper lip, hands, and neck.
- Laser resurfacing – Laser resurfacing stimulates the collagen production of your skin. Different kinds of laser treatments can be used for wrinkle treatment. These can either be used to remove the outer layers of the skin or less invasive ones are used to promote collagen production.
- Surgical procedures – You could also opt for minor cosmetic surgery procedures, which uplift a particular area or your entire face to treat deeper wrinkles. Some of these could be a brow lift, forehead lift or a facelift.
Since there are so many options for you to eliminate your superficial or deep wrinkles, it is best to consult Dr. Stanislaw to determine what will work best for you.