A mini facelift helps to improve any visible signs of aging and is specifically beneficial for those in their 40s and 50s. If you are also suffering from aging signs in the midface area and do not have severe excessive skin on the jawline or around the neck, this is just the procedure for you. The mini facelift is the short scar facelift, popularly known as the weekend facelift or sometimes referred to as a “lifestyle lift.”
When Should You Consider Having A Mini Facelift?
The pull of gravity, heredity, rapid weight loss, and exposure to the sun as well as certain lifestyle habits like smoking all contribute to facial skin aging. Reducing or eliminating these changes is why you may want to consider a mini facelift.
A mini facelift can accomplish the goals of the traditional facelift without exposing you to an invasive surgery, you get minimized incision and improved recovery period. The small incisions made during the procedure are well hidden within the jowl, creases of the neck and cheeks. An experienced surgeon will reposition the muscles without stretching your skin and this gives you natural results. Even if you keep a short hairstyle, the incisions will be very well disguised and not noticeable by others.
Are You a Good Candidate?
If you have noticed a loss in the definition of your jaw due to sagging or excessive fat then you make an ideal candidate for the mini facelift. The procedure is most beneficial for those in their 40s and 50s. Your surgeon may even combine the mini facelift with liposuction for the neck to offer you remarkable results.
Many times, a mini facelift is the treatment of choice for a patient in their 40’s or very early 50’s, or for a patient who wants very discrete and natural rejuvenation that doesn’t turn back the clock so far as to give away that they’ve had a procedure later in life. Typically, these patients notice that the creams, skincare, lasers, and injectables like Botox and Filler just aren’t giving them the results they used to, and these non-surgical options just aren’t cutting it anymore.
What does a Mini Facelift Procedure Entail?
The surgery is usually performed under local anesthesia and sedatives that make you drowsy, but you technically still stay awake during the procedure but will not experience pain. Although there are surgeons who perform this procedure under general anesthesia, so you’ll want to ask the surgeon specifically about your procedure.
The procedure from here on depends on your surgeon’s technique and the placement and sequence of the incisions depends on your facial structure. Generally, the procedure involves separation of the skin from the underlying fat and muscle. The excessive fat can either be trimmed or suctioned from around the neck and chin to get the desired contours. The muscles and tissue are then tightened, the skin is pulled back and any excess skin is excised before sutures are used to close the incisions. Metal clips may be used for closing the incisions hidden in the hair.
What Are the Benefits of the Mini Facelift?
A mini facelift is one of the most popular facial surgeries today that targets the lower third of the face. The definition of the chin and jawline are restored, removing jowls and sagging skin, and the artistic contouring of the remaining tissue gives you a youthful appearance. There are several benefits of the procedure which has been drawing thousands to it:
- Minimal scarring – the incisions made during the mini facelift are well concealed along the hairline and around the natural creases of the ear.
- Minimal side effects – compared to the extensive traditional facelift procedure, you will see less swelling, tenderness or bruising from the mini facelift. This also makes for an easier and faster recovery.
- A conservative procedure – the procedure addresses only the lower third of your face and neck. It will complement your natural features while offering enhancement depending on the level of skin laxity and wrinkles.
- Boosting self-confidence – once your youthful appearance is restored, it is bound to make you feel more confident about how you look. Most patients report a difference in the quality of their life.
- Efficient procedure – usually, the mini facelift is completed within a few hours without the deep trauma of a full face and neck lift, for optimal results with minimal downtime.
- Fewer risks – the mini facelift can be performed under local anesthesia, which not only removes the risks of general anesthesia but also, the type of injected medication used in local anesthesia has bacteriostatic properties which help to guard against infection.
Recovery and Results: What to Expect
Most patients do not feel much discomfort after their mini facelift. Most patients take only Tylenol after the first 1-2 days.
Numbness may occur for some patients and can linger for weeks. This is typically only caused by the increased pressure on the facial nerves from swelling, and generally resolves as the swelling does.
Most of the sutures are removed within a week’s time but any metal clips from the scalp may be left for a while longer since it takes longer to heal. You can conceal any bruising with makeup. Most patients return to work within a week after their surgery.
The results from the mini facelift naturally restore the youthful appearance. Once you have healed, the results do not even look like you underwent a surgical procedure; a good surgeon will give you rejuvenating facial harmony. Combine your mini facelift with another procedure for more comprehensive rejuvenation that mimics a full facelift, without the downtime!